How Does The Whistler Real Estate Market Work?

All of the property listings in the Whistler/Pemberton area are shared on a multiple listing system that we call the Whistler Listing System (WLS) and all Whistler agents work co-operatively in selling these listings. The best service you can possibly get as a Buyer is to find the right realtor who can provide a complete picture of the local market and focus in on your individual needs.

What are the typical closing costs when I purchase a property in Whistler?

Upon completion of the transaction there are a number of additional costs which will be due and payable in addition to the agreed purchase price. These include:

I am a first time buyer - do I have to pay Property Purchase Tax?

If the property you are buying is to be used as your primary residence and is less than $425,000 the BC Property purchase tax is waived. You also must not own a property anywhere else in the world, have lived in Canada and BC full time for the last 12 months , and move in within 90 days and live full time for a minimum of a year. This exemption does not apply to rental or commercial properties. Your mortgage specialist can provide more specific information on this.

How much down payment do I need?

If this is a second home purchase you will need a minimum down payment of 25% of the purchase price. (30-35% if you are a non-resident of Canada). Down Payments will vary depending on what type of property you are considering and at what price range.(Land requires a higher percentage down payment)A number of High Ratio solutions may be available as well. I recommend consulting with a mortgage specialist for specific details on a particular property.

I am not from Canada, do I need to use a Canadian Bank for Financing or I can use my bank back home?

Although you are not required to use a Canadian Bank for financing, it is unlikely that conventional financing will be made available from a financial institution from outside the country. However, individual situations will vary and you are encouraged to investigate all potential sources of potential financing prior to making a purchase decision.

I am from overseas, are there any restrictions on buying in Canada?

There are no restrictions on foreign ownership of real estate in Canada. However, there are financing and taxation considerations that will determine the ideal form of ownership for an overseas owner that should be reviewed. I recommend discussing this with a lawyer that specializes in real estate law and taxation.

How do I arrange Financing?

Financing for your purchase is available from a variety of sources in Canada. I highly recommend consulting with a mortgage specialist before entering into a contract of purchase and sale. It is likely that you will need to provide a net worth statement and proof of income as part of this process.

Whistler is a resort community and offers unique investment alternatives:

What is a phase 1 covenant and what is a phase 2 covenant?

Many condominiums in Whistler (particularly those that offer rental management) have a covenant (restriction) on title which outlines the permitted amount of personal use available with ownership. A Phase 1 property allows the owner unlimited use of the property, however, when not being used personally, the condominium must or can be made available for rental through a recognized rental management company (the requirement to rent varies from property to property, check with your realtor for the exact situation). A Phase 2 property limits the amount of personal usage to 56 days a year (28 days winter and 28 days summer). The balance of the time the property must be rented through the building's rental manager. Booking procedures are standardized through a sophisticated management agreement. Although this may seem restrictive, typically personal usage of a condominium in Whistler is less than 21 days a year.

What is the difference between Residential and Tourist Accommodation zoning?

Tourist Accommodation zoning permits short term (less than 28 days) rental. These properties are generally found in and around the base of the mountains or close to major recreational amenities like the Green Lakes golf course.

Residential Zoning does not permit a property to be used for short term rental purposes, although long term rental (over 28 days) is permitted

Call or email me anytime with any questions you may have 604 938 3798 or